The LMS (learning management system) selection committee has selected Canvas to be the new LMS for Chesapeake College, replacing ANGEL. The contract with ANGEL ends on June 30, 2013. A pilot group of courses will use Canvas during the Spring 2013 semester and fully launch for the Summer 2013 semester.
Every section of every course at Chesapeake has an online site in CANVAS. Most instructors – even in face-to-face classes – use a Canvas site to provide course content, connect you to course activities and assignments, and display grades. Plan to log in to Canvas a week before the semester starts to read the course syllabus and a message from your instructor, explaining how to prepare for the first day of class.
- Significantly faster tools for grading.
- Notification options for faculty and students using Facebook, Twitter, SMS, and more.
- Integration with Google docs.
- Wikis, RSS feeds, web conferencing integrations, and more.
- Works on any modern browser, including mobile browsers. Mobile apps are forthcoming.
- Easy you-tube-like tools for posting video, available to faculty and students.
- One-click recording and posting of webcam video, available to faculty and students.
- Clean, intuitive user interface, featuring drag and drop usability throughout.
- Rapid migration tool for pulling content (including quizzes and assignments) from Blackboard Vista/CE/ANGEL.
- Gold Star Certification for accessibility from the National Federation for the Blind.